Why have a polygamy...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Why have a polygamy website?

2 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Why did you start a website about polygamy in 2024? Shouldn't we just ignore it / leave it in the past?

M@derhorn 25/04/2024 12:02 am

@adrian-croft in my view, your sentiment doesn’t exclude the other. I also share some of your feelings

I think we should forgive and move past something that was in error.

I also think that the polygamy question strikes at the heart of what the restoration even was.
Re-evaluating what Joseph was actually teaching can help us.

The restoration was not the institution of an organization that if we cling to we find salvation. Though that institution can also certainly play a part in our personal path to Christ.

It was an invitation to receive Christ directly. This is the fulness taught in the Book of Mormon.

Receiving Christ requires confronting ourselves, our traditions & histories, and our mistakes. Then rooting out the spirit that led us astray. That spirit is still with us to some extent.

This path is individual and not organizational, but an organization can also generally represent the common spirit of its individual members.

I remember reading in Isaiah once, when an image of revelation like rain is described; at least in my interpretation.

It is unsettling and exciting to think of a time when ALL who asked would receive knowledge directly. Not from leaders but from God directly. I am witnessing this occurring around this question of polygamy. Not to correct leaders, but to correct ourselves. Perhaps God always had it in his mind to defend the prophet He chose to start this process.

I also remember thinking we were going to convert the Jews, because of what I thought I understood in the prophesies of the last days. But it turns out Christ is doing that directly, as many many in the Middle East are sharing stories of Christ appearing to them in dreams and visions, announcing who he is and asking them to follow Him. He never needed us to accomplish what was already in His mind to do. Their eyes were opened by their master.

I think the same thing is happening here too. “All things will become known”. A very exciting time to be alive, as our eyes are also opened by our master.

1 Answer

I see value in letting things of the past just be in the past. There is also value in learning from the past and exploring why things were the way the way they were. Poligamy has impacted many people's lives and continues to influence lds church doctrine and fundamentalist groups who practice poligamy today. More truth on this topic can do much good.

Share: